Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Book Review: Vegan Pizza by Julie Hasson


This post is a part of Vegan MoFo. For more information about Vegan MoFo, visit their website.

It has been a while since I reviewed a cookbook, but there is no better time to pick this up again than Vegan MoFo.

Title: Vegan Pizza
Author: Julie Hasson
Publisher: Andrews McMeel Publishing
Release date: September, 2013
Length: 144 pages
I got this book: for review through NetGalley

Summary:
From Goodreads:
Vegan Pizza is filled with 50 modern recipes from easy-to-make pizza dough (including spelt, whole wheat, and gluten-free crusts), creamy dairy-free cheese sauces, vibrant-flavored pestos and spreads, and meatless and wheat-less burger crumbles. Also included are inventive toppings and pizzas that run the gamut from comfort food pizzas like Chili Mac Pizza, Barbeque Pizza and Eggplant Parmesan Pizza, to fresh vegetable-laden pizzas like Sweet Potato and Kale Pizza, Corn, Zucchini and Tomato Pizza and Asparagus, Tomato and Pesto Pizza. There is even a chapter dedicated to dessert pizzas too, from Babka Pizza, to Berry Pie Pizza and Coconut Caramel Dream Pizza.

Personal opinion:
Sounds good, doesn't it? I thought so too, that is why I was glad I could get it for review. The book starts with some basics and there are a lot of ideas on how to veganize your pizza. Sauces, dough, all kind of meat like and cheese like toppings, it is all in there.
However it does reply a lot on things that aren't easy to get here. Like fake cheeses and liquid smoke for instance. But of course I could find recipes that I would be able to make. So I picked a tasty sounding pizza and started to read the recipe... and then I encountered a real problem. My oven doesn't go high enough for the pizzas to bake. They recommend a pizza stone, but I would have tried it without, but my microwave oven really doesn't make 260 Celsius. My microwave oven only goes till 200. So I felt I wouldn't be able to try a recipe without adjusting it so much that it would still be the same recipe. So sadly this is the first time I am writing a review without posting a recipe with it.
But that doesn't make it a bad book. It did give me a lot of inspiration on how to build a good vegan pizza. I would recommend this book to more advanced vegans, because of the ingredients used and the time it takes to make the pizzas because you have to make everything from scratch. And you need to make sure you have a good oven.

Purchase links: The Book Depository
Other reviews: none yet
If you have reviewed this book and want your link here, please leave a comment with the link, and I will add it :)


1 comment:

  1. I haven't checked out this book yet, but Ms. Hasson is behind the curve, Mark Sutton already nailed it with "Heart Healthy Pizza." No artery clogging fake cheese there, just lots of good ideas!

    ReplyDelete