Friday, March 11, 2016

Slow Cooker: Sweet Sauerkraut

I have never posted a sauerkraut recipe on the blog before. And this is because I absolutely don't like it. At least not prepared in the regular way how my mom used to make it. Everything sour and bitter I don't like. But Nick loves sauerkraut, so when I saw a recipe by Jay Bee on the slow cooker Facebook group, I thought, why not give it a try? The verdict? Even though I don't expect sauerkraut to be my favorite, I liked it enough to finish my plate.


Sweet Sauerkraut: (serves 2)
- 1 package of sauerkraut
- 150 gr dates
- 1 apple
- 1 coffee cup of apple juice
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- dash of black pepper
- mashed potatoes for serving


Place the sauerkraut in a colander and rinse it. This way most of the sour taste gets washed away. Remove the pits from the dates and cut them. Peel the apple and cut them in to cubes. Put everything in the slow cooker and cook for 3-4 hours on low.

We served it with mashed potatoes. I often add the potatoes in the slow cooker as well for a mashpot. However with sauerkraut this is a bad idea because of the sourness from the cabbage, the potatoes will not soften.


No comments:

Post a Comment