Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Veganize it! Babi Ketjap

I made this a couple of weeks back but because I had so many other recipes to share, I kinda forgot about it. Luckily I keep a list of recipes I still want to blog. Even though I moved on to mostly Indian recipes now, this was from the Indonesian period before. It is funny how things shift, even though I still have a lot of Indonesian recipes pinned on my recipe board. Babi ketjap originally is pork in a salty sauce. But I replaced the pork with mushrooms, because they marinate really well, and I don't always want to use tofu or so. Because we didn't have multiple side dishes, I put in some extra veggies. But of course you can make various Indonesian dishes and combine them. Like these Sajoer Beans, or homemade sateh sauce. All these recipes are vegan. The original recipe is from Judith in the Kitchen. The recipe is very salty though because of the ketjap manis. The original recipe added extra salt, but it was too much on the salty side already.


"Babi" Ketjap (serves 4)

Spice mix:
- 2 spring onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 10 gr fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp gingerpowder
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil

Other ingredients:
- 250 gr mushrooms
- 250 gr tofu, or vegan faux ham
- 150 gr green beans
- 125 ml ketjap manis
- 2 tbsp brown castor sugar
- 2 tsp tamarind
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp cornstarch

Place all the spice ingredients in a kitchen machine and puree it. Place a wok on the stove on low heat and bake the spicemix until it releases the oil. Add tofu, and mushrooms and bake shortly. Meanwhile cook beans in another pan until tender. Add ketjap, sugar, tamarind and 125 ml water. Let it simmer for a short while with a lid on top so the flavours can develop. (with pork this take 30 minutes, but we don't need to cook it that long because of the other ingredients.)  Mix the cornstarch with 2 tsp of water and add this to the sauce together with the beans and the lime juice. Stir through until the sauce thickens a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment