Monday, January 25, 2016

Slow Cooker: Broccoli "Beef"

From the start when I had the slow cooker, I wanted to make broccoli beef. I heard good things about it from a lot of people and it is right up my alley flavour wise. But I had to find a good replacement for the beef. Just replacing the beef with veggie beef would be really expensive. So I decided to add some mushrooms into the mix, because they absorb the flavours from the liquids well, and are a lot cheaper to buy. The original recipe is from Creme de la Crumb. But I adjusted it a lot.


Broccoli "Beef": (serves 4, 3.5L slow cooker)
- 1 package vegetarian/vegan beef
- 400 gr large mushrooms, sliced
- 700 gr broccoli florets
- 1 cup mushroom broth
- 2/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 tbsp cold water
- rice for serving



Add the broccoli, mushrooms, broth, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, sesame oil and chili powder to the pot. Cook on low for 4 hours. In the last hour add the vegetarian beef. 30 minutes before the end, whisk the cornstarch into a bowl with the water and add this to the pan. Cook the rice about 20 minutes before serving.

As you can see the broccoli looses it's bright green colour. But the broccoli was still crispy. If you don't like that. Just cook your broccoli normally and add it to the dish when serving. I personally find this too mush hassle ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment