Thursday, April 10, 2014

Comfort Food: Chili Sin Carne Tex Mex and Guacamole

I wasn't able to blog for a while at all because I have terrible back pains. Sitting behind a pc only makes things worse, so I hardly spend time online anymore except on my phone. Now I am trying to use Nick's old laptop, to see if that will work. So this post is a bit of a test ;) The blogging schedule will probably remain irregular for a while. But I have a backlog of recipes I want to share so today I will try just that. But don't be surprised if you might see posts for 3 days in a row and then nothing again for a while. This is how things are atm.

Let's move on to the recipe. This is one from my old cookbooks, a project that I still continue to do, so I can pass on my meat cookbooks to others. This recipe is extra special, because this was my favorite chili recipe before I became a vegetarian. Luckily the adapted veggie version is just as good :) Nick agrees that this is the best chili recipe we tried so far, so it deserves to be on the blog. The original recipe is from Mexican Cooking by Anne Wilson. The Chili itself is vegan, but this version of guacamole isn't.


Chili Sin Carne Tex Mex (serves 4)
- 250 gr beef replacement (the ones we used have a nice bite similar to the real thing)
- 250 gr mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 250 ml tomato juice
- 440 gr canned tomatoes on juice
- 100 gr corn
- 450 gr red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 0.5 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 0.5 tsp chilipowder
- tortilla chips for serving

Heat oil in a pan and bake onions, garlic and mushrooms shortly. Add tomatoes, tomato juice and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and lower the heat. Place a lid on top and let i simmer for a while. This is shorter than with the meat version because the ingredients take shorter to cook. The sauce needs to thicken. Lastly add corn and kidney beans with the spices. Heat through. Serve with the tortilla chips and guacamole.

Guacamole (serves 6)
- 2 ripe avocdos
- 1 tomato
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 60 ml sour cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice

Mash the avocados. cube the tomato and mix all the ingredients together with the avocado.
We ate the chili for two days, so we made half of the recipe for each day. But you can also place the pit from the avocado back in the guacamole and cover it with plastic foil.


1 comment:

  1. Balen van je rugpijn! Een kennis met hernia had een dressoir aangepast zodat ze staand aan de computer (laptop) kon werken. Misschien een tip? Ik heb toevallig ook net een "vleesch en visch" boek doorgewerkt zodat ik het kan weggeven: Aan tafel met Yvonne Keuls. Ook veel vegetarisch (daarom had ik het cadeau gekregen want de gever had niet door dat het niet helemaal vega was ;)

    ReplyDelete