Quick Lo Mein (serves 4)
- noodles enough for 4
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu (I used quorn meat replacement, but I am not sure that is vegan)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (leave out if using quorn)
- 2 tbsp neutral oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage (I just used most of one cabbage, because that is what we had)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (I used apple-cider vinegar because had that at hand)
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp sesame oil
Just prepare the noodles like you normally would, or use some leftover spaghetti. But don't season them.
Cut the tofu, if using, into cubes and toss with the cornstarch and some salt. Cook the tofu for about 7 minutes until golden brown in 1 tbsp of oil. Remove from the skillet and set aside. (you can skip this step when using quorn like I did.)
In the same skillet heat the other tbsp of oil and toss in the mushrooms, garlic, ginger, cabbage and green onions. (or any other veggies you like to add, like carrots or broccoli. Also add the quorn here, if using)
Stir fry to soften for about 5 minutes. Then stir in the soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar and ketchup. Add the tofu and the noodles (drain first) and toss to combine. I always add the noodles little by little or else the noodles and the veggies won't mix properly. You can add some water if the mixture is too dry.
Also check out the other participants of weekend cooking! It is a fun feature that is all about food.