Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pumpkin Special

Lately I experimented with new pumpkin recipes because we had two of them in a fairly short time and I don't always want to make soup from it ;) Today I will share two recipes that I made with pumpkin. The first one is for Pumpkin Pancakes and the second one is for Stuffed Pumpkins.

I got the recipe for Pumpkin Pancakes from the blog: Kook je vegetarisch met mij mee?, a Dutch blog on vegetarian cooking. For the Dutch people please click the link to go to the recipe, for the rest I will translate below. No picture though because all my pancakes broke ;)

Pumpkin Pancakes
- 1 kg pumpkin cubes
- 200 gr raisins (we left those out)
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp vanilla-essence
- 2 tbsp sugar
- some salt
- 200 gr flour
- 2 eggs
- some butter or oil to bake

Cook the pumpkin for about 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the cubes. Drain and mash the pumpkin with a handheld mixer. Add the eggs and mix it some more. This way it will prevent lumps in the batter. Now add the other ingredients and stir everything through. Bake the pancakes in some oil or butter and serve with powdered sugar or syrup.


The next recipe if from one of my most used cookbooks: The Vegetarian Student Cookbook (click on the link to see my review). The original recipe uses butternut squash but I didn't have that one at hand. 

Stuffed Pumpkin (serves 4, I only had 1 pumpkin though but I didn't halve the rest of the ingredients and that worked perfectly for 2)
- 2 small pumpkins or butternut squash (I had only 1)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (I used spring onion here)
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 50 gr breadcrumbs
- 50 gr walnuts, roasted and chopped
- 50 gr sundried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- 200 gr feta or goats cheese
- salt and pepper

Pre-heat the oven on 190 degrees (170 in microwave oven). Make little holes in the pumpkin(s) with a fork and place it in the oven for 35-45 minutes. Let them cool down. Fry, garlic, oinion, thymer and coriander in some oil for about 10 minutes. Fry the breadcrumbs in another pan for 4-5 minutes until crisp.
Cut the pumpkins lengthwise and remove the seeds. Carefully remove the flesh and mix this up with the onion mixture, breadcrumb, basil, tomatoes and salt and pepper. Fill up the pumpkins with the mixture and add the cheese on top. Place in the oven for 30 minutes.

I now see that Zeronic, who cooked those, didn't follow the recipe like he should have and didn't remove the pumpkin flesh to mix with the other ingredients. So we had more a pumpkin out of the oven with a crust ;) Oh well I can't complain because he did the cooking while I was ill ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment