Friday, January 29, 2016

On a Budget: Kisir

Kisir is a Turkish bulgur salad. Next to couscous salad, this is one of my favorite salads. I first tasted it in the Turkish bakery nearby. But they don't serve it anymore. So that was the reason why I went looking for a recipe. There are a lot of recipes for kisir. Some use pomegranate juice or pepper paste. I found this very basic recipe on Oh my Foodness that I made several times. It comes really close to the one in the bakery. Sometimes I add a bit of cucumber as well. The reason why I blog the recipe now, is because I made it again for this weeks bento. It holds up really well on room temperature.


Kisir: (serves 4, as lunch)
- 150 gr bulgur
- 150 ml boiled water
- 2 spring onions, in rings
- 1 tomato, in small cubes
- lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- fresh chives, parsley and dill, chopped (if you don't have all, just use what you have)
- salt and pepper

Put the bulgur in a bowl and pour the water on top. Cover the bown and leave it until the bulgur has absorbed the water. Stir it loose with a fork.
Heat some oil in a pan and bake the spring onions shortly together with the tomato paste. Add this mixture to the bulgur. Stir through so all the bulgur gets a red color. Then add the tomato.
Now from this point on it is all about the tasting. Add the fresh herbs, a bit of each and some lemon juice. Stir and taste. Also add some salt and pepper, if desired. The lemon juice makes all the difference, because it brings the flavours to life.
Place the salad in the fridge and leave it there for a few hours so the flavours can develop.


No comments:

Post a Comment