Thursday, February 19, 2015

On a budget: Leek-Pesto Quiche

Leeks. A few years ago, I really disliked leeks. The flavour was too strong for me. But I learned that I like leek in certain dishes as long as the leek isn't too overwhelming. Like in this simple and budget friendly quiche. This recipe I found on Lekker en Simpel. This seems to be a go to blog for me, because they have exactly what I am looking for in recipes. Simple and quick, and veggie friendly. I just made this quiche, in fact it is waiting in the fridge to go in the oven in a few hours. Quiches are an ideal dish to make when you peak energy level lies in the early afternoon. The quiche on Lekker en Simpel has a nice green color, but Nick seems to prefer red pesto over green, so that is what he bought.


Leek-Pesto Quiche: (serves 4)
- 1 leek
- 6 sheets of puff pastry
- 2 eggs
- 5 tbsp ricotta
- 3 tbsp pesto
- 4 sun dried tomatoes
- 125 ml cooking cream
- pepper
- breadcrumbs

Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees. Leave your sheets of puff pastry out to defrost. Mean while cut the leeks in half rings and bake them for 5 minutes in some oil. Cut the sun dried tomatoes into stripes. When the puff pastry is almost defrosted cover the bottom from a springform with the sheets. Poke some holes in the dough with a fork and top this with a layer of breadcrumbs to prevent a soggy bottom.
In a bowl, mix the eggs, cooking cream, pesto and ricotta. Add pepper to taste. Then also add in the leek and tomatoes. Pour the mixture on the dough. And place in the oven for 35 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment