Monday, December 1, 2014

Comfort Food: Pear Risotto with Mushrooms

Before the winter officially kicks in, let's share another autumn recipe :) I love cooking with fruit. I is hard for me to get enough fruits in, so every way I can manage it, is good to me. I love the subtle flavour of pear and I think this fruit is underrated in the kitchen. The original recipe is from An hour in the Kitchen and was made with blue cheese. But I don't really like blue cheese, so I made my version with feta instead. I like this recipe because unlike a lot of risottos, this one isn't dry on the 2nd day :)


Pear Risotto with Mushrooms: (serves 4)
- 5 to 6 cups vegetable or mushroom broth
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 spring onion, in rings
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups risotto rice
- 4-5 medium-sized pears, chopped
- 150 gr feta, crumbled
- Salt/pepper to taste

Saute mushrooms, garlic and onion in butter for 5 minutes over medium heat. The the rice and toast until the grains turn translucent. Add a ladleful of hot broth to the pan and stir to prevent the rice from sticking. When the rice has absorbed all the moisture add another ladle of stock. Continue to do this until the rice is soft and creamy, for about 15-20 minutes. Never leave your risotto alone, the minute you do, it usually burns ;) When the rice is creamy, add pears and feta and warm through until the cheese has melted. Add salt / pepper to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment