Monday, June 9, 2014

Brilliant Basics: Heksenkaas with Sundried Tomatoes and Basil

I still love to try all kind of spreads. I am always looking for new ways to spice up my sammies. Heksenkaas is a brand of herbal cream cheese in the Netherlands, and of course I tried this as well. For me it had a bit of a strong taste, so I didn't buy it again. Now there was a new flavor with sundried tomatoes and on Lekker en Simpel was a recipe to make your own.
Now I know why I didn't like the original Heksenkaas. It is because it contains leek and I am very specific on how I like my leek, because it can overwhelm other flavors easily. So in my version I didn't use the leek and I really loved it! If you want to use leek, use about 1/8th. Personally I thought there was a bit too much tomato in the spread, so in the recipe I will share below, I adjusted this. This is how I will make it next time! I decided to keep the original Dutch name for the recipe ;)


Heksenkaas with Sundried Tomatoes and Basil
- 150 gr cream cheese
- 3 tsp mayonnaise
- 4 sundried tomatoes
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- couple of leaves fresh parsley
- pinch of pepper
- 2 tsp sugar (optional)
- squeeze of lemon juice

Chop the sundried tomatoes into small pieces. Then add all the ingriedients to the food processor and mix until they are well combined and you have a smooth spread. (my blender disliked the tomatoes)
Serve on toast, a piece of good bread or as a dip with your veggies.


No comments:

Post a Comment