Thursday, February 13, 2014

On a Budget: Spinach Spaghetti

This week we are cooking on a budget because there is a new game we want to buy tomorrow ;) Next to the fact that us geeks save on food to buy games, I noticed that lately I was spending more on food than we did in a long time. So it is time to find a balance between the more luxury dishes and some budget dishes in between. A few weeks ago I already made this great spaghetti from de plantaardige keuken. She participated in a monthly budget challenge before and therefore has some vegan recipes on a budget on her blog. I saved the recipe for this week, because we aren't trying much new this week and it fits the theme :) I am not going to calculate the exact amount spend on a dish, but I consider something budget if I can cook a 2 person meal for 5 euro. This meal, according to de plantaardige keuken only costs 54 cents a person. My version will be a tad more expensive because I use spring onions instead of normal ones, but because I dislike olives, I left those out.


Spinach Spaghetti (serves 4)
- 250 gr spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp of each, thyme, oregano and rosemary
- 0.5 tsp chili powder
- 1 can (68 gr) tomato puree
- 500 gr sifted tomatoes (canned)
- 450 gr frozen spinach, thawed
- 300 gr white beans

Prepare the spaghetti in about 8 minutes. Heat the oil and bake the onion shortly. Add garlic and bake for another minute or so. Add spices, stir well, add tomato puree and stir again. Add tomatoes and thawed spinach, bring to a boil and let it simmer a bit. Add the beans and let it warm through. Serve with the spaghetti.


No comments:

Post a Comment