Monday, January 9, 2012

Meatless Monday: Sweet Risotto

I still had a butternut squash left when I encountered this recipe in a Dutch vegetarian magazine that is called "Vegetarisch Fit". I actually have a few of them but didn't cook from them much. I thought that had to change to I browsed through one of the previous winter editions. I will be cooking three recipes from the magazine this week because they fit the vegetables in my organic veggie bag so well.The first one I made is Sweet Risotto which tasted very good and is a great comforting winter dish.


This is a case of it tastes better than it looks. The risotto remained a bit soupy because it didn't want to absorb the last bit of moist, but the taste was good nevertheless. It also made me discover that I rather like cranberries, which I never ate before.

Sweet Risotto with Butternut and Cranberries
- 400 gr butternut squash
- 2 shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 twig of fresh rosemary
- 400 ml vegetable broth
- 600 ml cranberry juice
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 150 gr fresh cranberries
- 250 gr risotto rice
- 4 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 4 tbsp grated cheese
- 40 gr butter

Cube the flesh of the pumpkin. Peel shallots and garlic. Place them together with the leaves of the rosemary in the kitchen machine to chop everything up. Boil the cranberry juice together with the vegetable broth in a pan. Heat olive oil in a second pan and stir fry the garlic, shallots, rosemary, butternut and cranberries shortly. Add the rice and bake this shortly with the rest. Then add about 1/3 of the cranberry juice and broth mixture and let it boil softly for about 20 minutes while stirring occasionally. Add the rest of the broth bit by bit, waiting everytime until the rice absorbed the moisture before adding more. Keep stirring now, or else the risotto will burn. Never leave risotto alone! Lastly stir in the parsley, butter and cheese through the risotto, just before serving.

Progress picture, when the first broth went in.


This post is part of Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays.
MMMM is a weekly carnival dedicated to those interested in improving their personal health and the health of the planet by reducing meat consumption one day a week. Every Monday you have a chance to feature a link to something meatless. It doesn’t have to be a recipe {although that would be nice}, it can be a picture of a meatless meal you ate that week, an interesting article you read about meat consumption, a post on your blog about going meatless, perhaps a post on someone else’s blog you found helpful, anything Meatless Monday appropriate.

Also part of Meatless Mondays at My Sweet and Savory.

1 comment:

  1. Risotto in the winter = You make me hungry :) I admire your passion for Bento. Please check out my vegetarian bento blog.

    www.projectmakinyc@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete