Sunday, November 27, 2011

Recipe: Kohlrabi Soup

Last week I made this easy and tasty soup for lunch from a kohlrabi from my vegetable bag. To be honest I had never heard of this vegetable before and I had no clue what to do with it but luckily Graasland was able to help me out and send me this simple recipe. I adapted it a bit because the original recipe had white wine in it and because we don't ever drink it, I refuse to buy a bottle just for cooking.


Kohlrabi soup (serves 2)
- 1 kohlrabi
- half a spring onion
- 1 tbsp oil
- 0.5 litre vegetable broth
- some creme fraiche
- 2 handfuls chives
- salt and pepper

Peel the kohlrabi and remove the leaves, cut into small pieces. Cut half of a spring onion. Heat the oil in a pan and bake the onion and kohlrabi shortly. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. When the vegetables are soft (this takes about 15 minutes), you can mix the soup with a hand held mixer in the pan. Add a few spoonfuls creme fraiche, salt and pepper to taste. Garnish the soup with about a handful of chives for each bowl.

This post is part of Weekend Cooking. Please visit the other participants as well! :) 

7 comments:

  1. That sounds really easy!

    I would have liked to see your kohlrabi before you cooked it, because I'm not sure what it is now. That is, I thought it was a root vegetable, didn't know it has leaves. (Pretty ignorant!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can find a picture of a kohlrabi here in my vegetable bag:
    http://shelikesbento.blogspot.com/2011/11/vitatas-5.html

    :) BTW: you can eat the leaves in vegetable soup for example. I just didn't need them right now and the rabbits loved them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm going to have to remember this. We get kohlrabi in our CSA too. I usually roast it or cut it up to add to stir-fry. I like the idea of soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But what did you think of the soup Uniflame? Did you like it? Will you make it again?

    Also, you can buy these small bottles of wine... Great for cooking. ;) What's left can be frozen in icecube bags for future use. Voilá!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm liking the idea of these small portion meals, instead of freezing leftovers from bigger recipes. Looking forward to exploring your blog. - Fay

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Gnoe: If I post the recipe on my blog, I did like it :) I wouldn't share the recipe if I didn't :) I will make this again for sure, because it is a really creamy and easy soup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a challenge. I've not tried it. I looked it up and it sounds like it would taste good. Thanks for adding the link to my soup post. I'll biy extra and take some to my parents.

    ReplyDelete