Saturday, May 28, 2011

Weekend Cooking: Easy Lunch Idea

I was in the mood for avocado, so when I saw this little recipe in the Vegetarian Student Cookbook, I just had to try it!


As you can see it is a very simple dish, but it tasted great! I loved it! Don't mind my cutting techniques. They are pretty non existent ;)

Avocado-Mozzarella Ciabatta (serves 2)
1 or 2 ciabattas (depending on the appetite, I used 1)
1 large avocado (I used Hass avocado)
50gr mozzarella
2 tomatoes (I used sundried tomatoes because had that at hand)
1tbsp chopped basil
black pepper
Lemon juice

Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees and place the ciabatta in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, slice the tomato, mozzarella & avocado. Sprinkle some lemon juice on the avocado to keep it fresh! This is very important because avocado turns bad really fast. Lay the slices avocado, mozzarella and tomato on the ciabatta, sprinkle with basil and pepper. Place the ciabatta back in the oven for about 2-3 minutes and serve immediately.

14 comments:

  1. Oh yummy! That is really nice. I love avocado but never know what to do with it. This recipe is simple enough for me to try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like avocado, I can give you another easy tip :) If you have some avocado left over, just dip it is some soy sauce. It is so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our house has some vegetarians and some meat eaters, but I constantly cook and serve all kinds of veggies and fruits; the one thing that I have never enjoyed tho, is avocado. Not sure why; maybe the consistency?
    Do you have a suggestion for a substitute in this recipe? I know I could just leave it out, and it would be a good sandwich, but I thought maybe you had an idea for something to add?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip, Uniflame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny you commented about avocado and soy, my son and his friends do that and sometimes dip it in hoisin sauce, that was new to me, I usually think lime or lemon with avocado. Sandwich looks awesome, so fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @TheBookGirl: I could imagine that grilled courgette or eggplant would be a good substitution :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. avocado hmmmmmm °,° yummi
    sounds very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only use avocade for guacamole, but this seems to be another great use for it. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, would this be great with garden-fresh tomatoes. I think it could be the perfect summer sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm - I like the combination of avacado and mozzarella. Add fresh tomatoes and it sounds so good. I'm hungry for it now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fillings sound delicious, I can imagine that avocados, tomatoes and mozzarella go well together...!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh, my comment (from iPhone) got eaten by cyberspace! :( I'd love some avocado on a bun right now! I usually find the veg is creamy enough so I don't mind skipping the mozzarella. And a bit of veganaise goes well with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delicious! I think I'd not heat it up and just have it on the warm bread. And because I'm not a cheese fan, I'd leave it out. If you're craving avocado another day, I make a very easy salad:

    http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2010/06/avocado-salad.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like to mash up avacodo and use it as a spread in place of mayo. I'm getting one out of the fridge right now. yummy.

    ReplyDelete