Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Slow Cooker: Indian Dahl

Ever since I have my slow cooker I have been eating a lot of Indian dishes and curries. They are just so tasty to make in the slow cooker. I never made dahl before because I am not a huge fan of lentils, or so I thought, but it also seems that it is a bit of an acquired taste to me. In the slow cooker they turn out really soft. I still think they taste a bit boring on their own, so I try to mix them up with veggies and spices. This dish is based on a recipe from the book 500 slow cooker meals by Carol Beckerman. But I made some adjustments. btw, dahl isn't a curry but an Indian thick soup. The dish is very budget friendly, especially when you have the spices in your pantry already.


Indian Dahl: (serves 4-6, 3.5L Slow cooker)
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp kerrie or curry powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp comun
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 400 gr dried red lentils, rinsed (other lentils work too, we used brown ones here)
- 1150 ml vegetable broth
- 350 ml coconut milk
- 1 potato, peeled and in small cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, cubed


Heat the oil in a skillet and bake garlic shortly together with the ginger, curry powder, turmeric, paprika, cumin and chilli powder until the scents from the herbs are freed. Then add this mixture together with all the other ingredients in the slow cooker. Put it on low for 6-7 hours. But start tasting it at about 5 hours. It depends on the kind of lentils that you use, how long it is taking.
You can serve the dahl with flatbread or chapatis but we served it with a dollop of Greek yoghurt. Omit the latter when vegan.


No comments:

Post a Comment