Monday, August 25, 2014

FoodBlogSwap: Easy Lahmacun

In between preparations for Abunai! that starts this Friday, I also participated in the FoodBlogSwap this month. I couldn't bring myself to skip a month ;) And I am so glad I did, because I had to make something from Mijn Mixed Kitchen, a blog that has Turkish and Dutch recipes. I am so glad because I wanted to try some Turkish recipes for a long time! And that I did! I didn't try one but three recipes this month, and I am following the blog, so I am sure I will try more in the future! The reason why I haven't tried a lot before is because I don't eat meat. But I wanted to try lahmacun ever since I heard of it. So in risk of doing something barbaric as altering a typical Turkish recipe, here is my vegetarian (vegan even) version of easy lahmacun. I actually wanted to make the original version, but time is not my friend this month, so I went for the wrap version instead. I also had to downgrade the spiciness a bit, because my stomach can't handle spicy food but feel free to check out the original recipe that I liked above! Btw: This is so good, that I already made it twice ;)


Easy Lahmacun (serves 3)
- 4 large or 8 small wraps
- 150 gr vegetarian minced meat
- a bit of sunflower oil
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 spring onion
- 0.5 tbsp (Turkish) tomato paste
- a handful fresh parsley
- pul biber (dried red pepper flakes)
- salt and pepper

Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees. (the original recipe says 220, but ours doesn't go higher) Chop tomatoes, onion and parsley finely. Mix everything including the spices with the vegetarian minced meat, except for the wraps of course. Divide the mixture into four or eight portions and even these out over the wraps. This goes best with the back of a spoon. The wraps only need a thin layer.

Bake them in the oven for about 10 minutes, but stay with the oven, because they can burn quickly. You can also bake them in a pan, we did this the 2nd time. Fold the wraps, place them in a pan on medium heat, carefully unfold them and place a lid on the pan. Bake for about 4 minutes.

You can keep the lahmacun for a day and eat cold for lunch the next day (also did that) or warm them for about 30 seconds in the microwave. They can also be frozen folded in aluminium foil and placed in a freezer bag. Defrost them first before reheating. I yet have to try this myself, because I didn't have enough leftovers to try it yet ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment