Thursday, January 16, 2014

Typical Dutch: Wintery Ovendish

I notice that next to experimenting with cuisines from other countries, I also start to cook more Dutch dishes. I always considered Dutch food as boring. And the regular things I still consider that way because a tyipcal week day meal is no more that potatoes, veggies and meat. All separated on a plate, next to each other. Very boring indeed. We hardly eat it, but you can see it in my menu's some times. But there is more to the Dutch kitchen than that. Of course we have the mashpots, which you can find plenty of recipes for on the site. That is still fairly standard. One of our most standard ones is kale mashpot. I know that in other countries kale is used for a lot of things, but here I hardly see it used in any other way than in mashpots. So today I have a kale mashpot for you with a twist. Made as an oven dish.

The original recipes comes from the 24-kitchen Winterkookboek. A book full of Dutch wintery recipes. I do like the idea of the book. But it is also a bit of a coffee table book. Next to pictures of dishes there are also a lot of pictures from the 24-kitchen chefs in a wintery snowy setting. And the book isn't as veggie friendly as I had hoped. This I didn't expect because the tv channel is very veggie friendly. But in this book there isn't even a veggie main course in the x-mas section, which is a shame. It does have a nice Sinterklaas chapter with a lot of baked goods though, which I like :) But I wouldn't buy the book. Anyway, on to the recipe, which I adapted from meat to vega.


Wintery Ovendish: (serves 4)
- 1 kg potatoes
- 200 ml milk
- nutmeg
- 2 spring onions
- 1 clove of garlic
- sunflower oil
- 400 gr vegetarian minced meat replacement
- 300 gr chopped kale
- 250 gr mixed mushrooms
- 150 gr grated cheese
- 1 egg

Peel and boil the potatoes. Heat the milk in a pan, and mix this with the potatoes to make a mash. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste to the mash.

Chop the onions and garlic. Heat some oil in the pan and bake the onions, garlic and fake minced meat for a few minutes. Add the kale. Mean while slice the mushrooms and add those as well and place a lid on the pan. Remove from heat when the mushrooms have shrunk, about 6 minutes.

Heap the half of the mashed potaqtoes in an oven dish. Then add the kale mixture, add the cheese and top of with the rest of the mash. Beat an egg and coat the mash with it for a golden crust. Place in the oven for about 15 minutes on 200 degrees.


No comments:

Post a Comment