Monday, December 23, 2013

Foodblogswap: Savoury Baklava

It is time for another Foodblogswap, and while I was in doubt to participate in December, I decided to do so. I made my choice early and cooked it early in the month too, so I wouldn't be lost in the last minute x-mas stress. The blog I had to cook from was Mijn Kookavonturen. And while I was scrolling I found an interesting recipe for a savoury vegetarian baklava. I always wanted to make baklava, but never did, and while this isn't like the classic sweet baklava at all, it does have some of the same elements. I think it is a combination of baklava and a quiche. Very nice! It was also the first time we cooked with filo pastry.

I have to warn you that this dish is rich in calories, and that you can also serve it as a side like in the original recipe, it is served alongside pumpkin soup. Mine didn't hold together when I took them out of the dish, but it didn't taste any less because of that ;) Maybe I would use somewhat less walnuts next time, I thought that they overpowered the other ingredients at some points.


Savoury Baklava: (8 pieces)
- 10 sheets of filo dough
- 300 gr fresh spinach, washed (I used frozen)
- 100 gr walnuts (I would use a bit less next time)
- 100 gr feta, crumbled
- 50 gr bread crumbs
- 100 gr butter + 1 extra tbsp
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper

Pre heat the oven on 200 degrees. Roast the wulnuts in a dry pan and chop them in the food processor, not too finely. Heat 1 tbsp of butter in the same pan and warm the spinach. Drain the spinach of its moist. Mix half of the walnuts with the crumbled feta, bread crumbs, eggs and spinach. Add salt and pepper to taste. I didn't add any more salt because the feta has enough salt to my taste.

Melt 100 gr of butter and use some of to coat the oven dish. Cut the filo pastry in the size of your oven dish. Place 1 sheet of pasty in the oven dish, coat it with butter and add another sheet, coat again, until you have 5 sheet of pastry in you oven dish. Place the spinach mix on top and then add the other 5 pastry sheet which you each coat with butter again. Don't forget to coat the top sheet as well. Cut the baklava into 8 pieces before you put it in the oven. Add the other half of the walnuts and place in the oven for 40-50 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment