Thursday, September 5, 2013

Five favorite vegan sandwich toppings


This post is a part of Vegan MoFo. For more information about Vegan MoFo, visit their website.

One of the most asked questions about eating vegan must be: but what do I eat on my sandwich? I have to say that this was an issue for me too when I entered a challenge to eat vegan for 2 days a week last year. In that time I learned that it was actually quite easy to find yummy recipes for bread toppings and today I share my 5 favorites. Not in particular order ;)


One thing I discovered was hummus. While I am not too crazy about plain hummus I do love several variations including this sweet potato hummus. I especially love it on a cracker. It is sweet but still a bit savoury. It is also great as a dip btw.

Another thing I really like when I am in a more savoury mood is peanut butter and cucumber. When I first heard of the combination I was a bit sceptical about it, but it turned out to be one of my favorites. Cucumber happens to be the one veggie that is always in my fridge, so it is an easy choice for me. Also great with a home made nut butter.


Sometimes I am in a bit of a sweet mood and then home made jam often find it's way to my sandwich. While jam is one of the few vegan things you can just buy in the supermarket, making it yourself does really pay off. And there are easy recipes that don't require hours in the kitchen, like this recipe for strawberry-rhubarb-blueberry-vanilla jam. After I made this, I never wanted store bought again.

Another easy thing is avocado. Really. Get them. It is great to make all kind of spreads with. From a guacamole to avocado hummus, or just plain with some lemon and black pepper. I love it!


Last but not least is this lovely cashew and bell pepper spread. Like the sweet potato hummus is it sweet and savoury at the same time. I really like spreads like these. Again good on crackers too, but this one is also great as a stuffing for vegan sushi.

So I hope that I have inspired you to try some vegan spreads on your sandwich. These are just a few I tried, but there are tons more. I am always looking for new ideas so,
what are your favorite vegan sandwich toppings? Please share them in the comments! I want to try them too! 


3 comments:

  1. Avocado is definitely my favorite! With tomato: mmm!

    I also like Ajvar (the spicy one). Also with tomato and with lettuce.

    And the classic: a lot of soy butter and a lot of peanut butter.

    Hummus of course.

    And this recipe: http://www.veganchallenge.nl/kikkererwten-tonijn-salade/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will go and check it out :)

      Delete
  2. I don't really do sandwiches but I do enjoy toast every now and then (pretty sure the toppings still apply) I love mashed banana and vegemite or almond butter best.

    I used to work at a deli and one of the best selling sandwiches was a 'vegetarian' that was wholegrain bread, peanut butter, lettuce, carrot, beetroot, celery, cucumber and was completely awesome! so if you're into pb and cuce you should try that too :) x

    ReplyDelete