Wednesday, January 12, 2011

#52 & #53 - Japanese cucumber salad bento

As stated yesterday, the cucumbers were on discount so today is another bento with lots of cucumber. Well 2 actually since I needed a bento for school and the BF has work.

 In his bento is rice with teriyaki sauce, mushrooms, peas & spring onion, potato-feta pancakes, cucumber salad & grapes.

Mine has mushroom risotto, an egg, cucumber salad, potato-feta pancakes & grapes.

I found this recipe for traditional Japanese cucumber salad on bento babe's blog, but since that one is in Dutch I will translate it for you. Since it is a tasty & easy recipe :) I added some notes though.

Ingredients:
- Half a cucumber
- Salt
- 1 tsp of ginger
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Optional: some sugar or mirin

Cut the cucumber really thin. Add salt and leave it for 10-15 minutes. This will remove some of the moist from the cucumber. Get as much moist out as you can, I personally used kitchen towels for it. Then add the soy sauce, ginger & rice vinegar. Optionally you can add mirin or sugar. I added 2 tsp of sugar since we both like sweet in this house. Tastes best if you leave it overnight in the fridge. You can add some sesame seeds or nori to it. I added black sesame seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment