Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Veganize it! "Chicken" Madras

I have borrowed the new Koken with Karin book (Koken met Karin - zonder pakjes en zakjes 2) from the library and I am very enthusiastic about the book! I have said that I won't buy any more books that have meat in them, but this book I do consider on buying. In short: this book focusses on cooking out of the box, literally. She gives recipes for popular typical boxed meals and shows how to make them yourself.
The book has a vegetarian chapter too, but a lot of meat dishes are easily adjusted, like I did with this version of chicken madras. Do keep in mind that this is a very mild madras, not authentic but based on the boxed meal adjusted to Dutch pallets. The only thing I had to do to make this recipe vegan was to switch out the chicken for a replacement. Because I used to quite like this mild version of madras, and I couldn't find something similar anywhere, I was very happy with this version of the recipe.

I am thinking about writing a review of the book, however, this book has to return to the library soon and with my current backlog of recipes, it probably won't happen. But try this recipe because it does taste good :D


"Chicken" Madras: (serves 4)
- 400 gr faux chicken
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 400 ml canned tomato cubes
- 1 large apple
- 2 spring onions
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 cm fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp (madras) currypowder (if you use the authentic it get spicier, just use your favourite brand)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- handful fresh cilantro
- some sunflower oil
- salt and pepper

Cut the "chicken" into small cubes, if needed. Place in a bowl and add some salt, pepper, 1 tbsp of the currypowder and cornstarch. Mix until everything is coated.
Heat some oil and bake the onions softly for about 5 minutes. Chop ginger and garlic and add to the onions together with the other tbsp currypowder and the cumin. Bake until it starts to smell good! Add the faux chicken to the mixture and bake a bit longer. Now add tomatoes, coconut milk some salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Place a lid diagonal on the pan, and leave it simmer for about 15 minutes. Cut the apple into cubes and add this the last 5 minutes.

Serve with fresh cilantro and rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment